Hot Topics

Most Shared

Top Stories

Top Stories

text size

Extension cord powering space heater believed to cause blaze in Harrisburg

Updated: Thursday, March 20 2014, 09:44 AM CDT
Posted by: Sara Small (

An accidental, electrical issue is said to be the cause of a two-alarm house fire in Harrisburg.

Flames broke out in the 1800 block of Market Street around 5 a.m. on Thursday.

Brian Enterline, the Acting Fire Chief of Harrisburg, says heavy smoke was evident upon crews arrival. The fire was immediately called to a second alarm because crews believed two people were trapped inside.

Fortunately, Harrisburg fire crews had the additional help from the police department to get one of the victims out of the home.

"Crews immediately went into action, threw ladders to the roof of the porch and were able to crash out windows to rescue a female from the second floor," said Enterline.

Another male victim was able to escape the blaze himself, crews say.

Chief Enterline says the biggest issue fighting nearly any fire in Harrisburg is manpower. This morning, he says that was not a problem as additional crews, including public safety and EMS, responded very quickly.

"Having the police department on the scene, that really helped us with the female's rescue by throwing in the second ladder to help bring the victim out...EMS was on scene pretty quickly and as we were bringing her (the victim) down the ladder, they were already getting their things in play to immediately transport her to the hospital," said Enterline.

We're told the female was transported to Penn State Hershey Medical Center, there's no word on her condition at this time. Officials tell us she was conscious when transported to the hospital.

Fire crews believe the blaze was caused by an extension cord powering a space heater.

"We've preached all winter long about the dangers of space heaters, and this morning we had a significant fire as a result of a space heater ran by an extension cord" said Enterline.

Officials add the house has extensive smoke and heat damage.

The Red Cross is assisting the two people who were displaced as a result of the fire.
Extension cord powering space heater believed to cause blaze in Harrisburg

Advertise with us!

Related Stories

Advertise with us!