Hot Topics

Most Shared

Top Stories

Top Stories

text size

Practicing fire safety in your home

Updated: Friday, October 18 2013, 11:15 AM CDT
Written by: Ashley Arnold (

Working smoke alarms can mean the difference between life and death.

Today in Dauphin County, local firefighters, Energizer and Giant food stores shared that fire safety message with the community.

Experts say 38-percent of deadly fires happen in homes without working smoke alarms, and 24-percent of fatal fires happens when there is a smoke alarm, but it doesn't work, mostly because of dead batteries.

Susquehanna Township firefighters gave out free smoke alarms and batteries this morning at the Giant in Linglestown.

It was all part of the national "Change Your Clock Change Your Battery" program.

"It's a program that reminds people to make sure that they have working batteries in their smoke and carbon monoxide detectors," says Christine Costa, Energizer Spokesperson.

Firefighters and volunteers also went door to door offering home safety inspections and giving away batteries to seniors at Pheasant Hill Estates.

Here are simple home fire safety tips:

· Practice smoke alarm maintenance for a simple, effective way to reduce home fire deaths.
· A simple reminder from the International Association of Fire Chiefs and Energizer: When you change your clocks, change the batteries in your smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors. This can help save lives.
· Test your smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors monthly to make sure they are working.
· Have at least one working smoke alarm on each level of your home.   
· Plan, discuss and practice an escape route with your family for dangerous situations such as home fires, carbon monoxide leaks and natural disasters.
· Do not rely on your sense of smell to alert you that you and/or your family are in danger of being trapped during a fire or from a carbon monoxide leak.
· Be sure not to ignore the chirping sound your smoke alarm makes when maintenance is required. 
· Use flashlights or flameless candles rather than candles to light your home during power outages.
· Carbon monoxide detectors are NOT substitutes for smoke alarms.

Practicing fire safety in your home

Advertise with us!

Related Stories

Advertise with us!